frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

LARGE Conical Grinder Owner Club

edited January 1970 in Grinders
Just thought I would start a new thread for owners of LARGE conical grinders
Pease express your thoughts - warts and all on your machine

KK

Comments

• I am a proud owner of a BNZ MD74 conical grinder It was a lightly used ex cafe grinder when I purchased it. However I was originally looking for a Mazzer Rubur when it was offered to me I have removed all the auto fill flaps from inside the grinds hopper as its not needed for home use Have also pondered on converting it to a doserless but I kinda like the thwack of the manual doser Last but not least I have also invented a stepless micro metrical adjustment mod as in its standard set up its a fine adjustment stepped grinder It's a replacement adjuster that does not damage the machine in any way The design uses the existing setup and replaces the stepped adjuster in 60 seconds Attachment not found.
  • I own a Mazzer Super Jolly for home use - which has been great, but I recently took it into the cafe to use as my decaf grinder - so Im looking to replace it with something similar, as I like the build quality and the finesse - and I need the added oomph of a decent sized grinder for the occasional catering and fund raiser gigs that I do! P 
  • Running a Mazzer SJ but now have added a 2 year old BNZ md74 to officially join the LCG owner club.  ;D Stripped it down last night to bare bones and today scrubbed it clean, very little coffee residue throughout so the previous owner was telling me the truth when they said it had only done a small amount of work. Paid 1k for it and I think I got a bargain.  :thumb: Amanda thinks it ridiculous to run 2 big grinders on the kitchen bench, I think naaahhhhh SJ for blends, for her milk based drinks and the BNZ for my double shot SO's.  :coffee2: Attachment not found.
  • Here's my beastie. It took me forever to pull the trigger on this grinder. It has no gearbox, the burrs are directly driven. So they spin a bit faster than most other big conicals (IIRC 680rpm). I was worried that it might not be torquey enough and prone to struggle or stall on hard beans. And I couldn't find any discussions/reviews on the web. I'm loving it so far. I've probably put about 4-5kg through it and haven't had any troubles. It doesn't struggle at all. I've removed the finger guard and autofill stuff from the doser so the chute is easier to brush out.
  • so then a cheap Pharos with a 68mm  burr would be  in that club?
  • on 1387259493:
    so then a cheap Pharos with a 68mm  burr would be  in that club?
    Yes I would categorise it as a large conical KK
  • I agree KK, it's about the burr size not the size of the grinder IMO.
  • Yep!  Hopefully a Fiorenzato will make its way here shortly ;)
  • on 1387281297:
    Yep!  Hopefully a Fiorenzato will make its way here shortly ;)
    I thought you just bought a K10?
  • I meant Adam's Fiorenzato.... But now you've planted a seed....  :pan
  • I may have just bought a Fiorenzato too :D
  • Pictures, videos, reviews.... Now now now!!  Good luck with your purchase.
  • on 1388118764:
    I may have just bought a Fiorenzato too :D
    are these on sale or something?
  • on 1388187411:
    are these on sale or something?
    There were a few selling on eBay, I understand there will be a few more in the new year. P.S Nice to see you on these forums, Craig. Hope you enjoyed the beans and coldpress!
  • This must be Tim, Yes the Mrs. loved the cold press, if fact she hogged it all, I only was allowed one sip. I could never quite get the beans to work for me but still have them, I have been side tracked with the Crissy special beans from Ministry Grounds (only once a year) Maybe I should give your beans another go? It was great to have you guys stay in our guest apt. for your anniversary hope all is well and enjoy the holidays. Cheers.
  • Looks  like I have joined  the club now.
  • on 1389411320:
    Looks  like I have joined  the club now.
    Mate you're on fire!!  I'm supposed to be having a nap but I reckon I'm off to have a celebratory coffee in your honour!
  • Well, add me to the list of club members, now that the BNZ MD74 is up and running
  • welcome to the club.
  • on 1390484416:
    Well, add me to the list of club members, now that the BNZ MD74 is up and running
    Welcome to the big end of town!!  :thumb:
  • And it seems that big-end bean consumption is the norm with these things too. So quiet but damn is it a hungry beast! The rate at which it ate the kilo of beans the other day was astonishing.
  • I wonder  what ever happened to Tim (the book freak) after he sent his grinder back?
  • on 1394144638:
    I wonder  what ever happened to Tim (the book freak) after he sent his grinder back?
    I hope there's an update, it was a disappointing story. BTW how is the HG1 seasoning going? How many KG so far?
  • grinder is getting better all the time, Lachim stopped by today and helped me with some pointers I am at about 5kgs coffee and  2.5kgs rice
  • so, what ... 15kg to go??  ;)
  • It was getting there with a bit more in the basket and a coarser grind.  Like any new component to coffee it will take a bit of time, the user needs to learn, the burrs need to bed.  one day it will just happen! Lovely grinder though, and made to last by the look of it! :)
  • Well, after my Amanti saga... Just joined the club with a K10. Upgraded from a Macap M4. I genuinely can't believe the difference the grinder makes. Shots are a lot more consistent with a great deal complex flavour! Have a few bits coming in the mail for some mods! :D
  • on 1396738415:
    Well, after my Amanti saga... Just joined the club with a K10. Upgraded from a Macap M4. I genuinely can't believe the difference the grinder makes. Shots are a lot more consistent with a great deal complex flavour! Have a few bits coming in the mail for some mods! :D
    Congrats TBF on the K10  :thumb: A quality grinder certainly makes a desirable difference in the cup and a big conical ticks most of the boxes for the taste profile our taste buds prefer KK
  • Good to hear a positive outcome to the story