frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

VST filter baskets.

edited January 1970 in Accessories
http://www.coffeegeek.com/opinions/markprince/04-29-2011
These certainly sound the ducks guts, will be interesting to see/taste the results in a cup. :-\

Comments

• If it's anything to go by, Instaurator has tried them, and he likes the results. I'm hoping to get my hands on one soon.
  • The basket that I use is a Synesso especially mated to my tamper This photo is from HB of the Synesso baskets 2_synesso_baskets_1.jpg They are very similar to the VST pictured  below VST-3.jpg But I reserve my judgement until I see them by eye From Coffee Geek a side by side photo VST on left seems to have a few extra holes on the edge VST-1.jpg?Popup=1 KK
  • I have found more information on a PDF link http://vstapps.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/fitler_brochure.pdf Also at the bottom they say that the baskets are available to purchase now http://vstapps.com/store/vst-precision-filter-baskets/ KK
  • on 1304722465:
    I have found more information on a PDF link http://vstapps.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/fitler_brochure.pdf Also at the bottom they say that the baskets are available to purchase now http://vstapps.com/store/vst-precision-filter-baskets/ KK
    Ha, thinks to self , reckon I'll order one of these, an 18 gram double should do nicely, add to basket, go to checkout, select country, enter post code, all looking good, hit calculate postage, then the hammer hits, $88.65 for postage to Aus :o sigh, empty cart, thinks to self, what a bloody waste of time, must be time for another long black. :)
  • on 1304729082:
    then the hammer hits, $88.65 for postage to Aus :o
    Just postage?? Or total price... My Scace 2 only cost $45 and they sent it priority
  • on 1304729442:
    on 1304729082:
    then the hammer hits, $88.65 for postage to Aus :o
    Just postage?? Or total price... My Scace 2 only cost $45 and they sent it priority
    Just postage, total price $113.65. :o
  • There is no way a filter basket should cost $80+ for postage.  It must be via courier.  Normal USPS should be no more than $6 for the basket.  They weigh almost nothing.
  • on 1304730152:
    There is no way a filter basket should cost $80+ for postage.  It must be via courier.  Normal USPS should be no more than $6 for the basket.  They weigh almost nothing.
    Your right of course, I have bits and pieces shipped from the US frequently, postage have has been rising but this is outrageous. Might ping em an email later and ask a few questions.
  • on 1304730377:
    on 1304730152:
    There is no way a filter basket should cost $80+ for postage.  It must be via courier.  Normal USPS should be no more than $6 for the basket.  They weigh almost nothing.
    Your right of course, I have bits and pieces shipped from the US frequently, postage have has been rising but this is outrageous. Might ping em an email later and ask a few questions.
    When you get an answer to the postage I will place an order fro a double basket and see what the fuss is all about KK
  • on 1304730838:
    on 1304730377:
    on 1304730152:
    When you get an answer to the postage I will place an order fro a double basket and see what the fuss is all about KK
    Perhaps if we can get things sorted out some of our Crema members would be interested in a group buy, may help to share the cost of postage. ;)
  • Thats a good idea However the postage will not be that much cheaper as we then have to redistribute again from here I have emailed them and got an answer (Dry Bean you have a PM) In essence they said- The delivery charge on the site is incorrect They will charge the USPS express charge and refund the rest KK
  • What is the approx postage price then? Brett
  • on 1304734254:
    What is the approx postage price then? Brett
    They just told me that they sent a parcel with & I quote USPS EXPRESS MAIL to Australia. shipped a QTY of 48 baskets today for $69, weighing 7.5 LBs. So one or two is probably $6-$8 dollars KK
  • The presso filters are like them, in that the holes go all the way out. Just a useless bit of information for you :)
  • I will take two of the 18g and one 21 if an order is being put together? Other wise I think I will have to go it alone, me wants it!!!!! Brett
  • on 1304751249:
    I will take two of the 18g and one 21 if an order is being put together? Other wise I think I will have to go it alone, me wants it!!!!! Brett
    No order being compiled Brett, looks like we will all have to do our own thing. ;D
  • I'll do mine when they fix their freight. Keen though out of curiosity. Not expecting heaps of change based on what Attilio has said elsewhere, but hey, for 30 bucks I'll give it a go  ;)
  • there was a couple of group buys going around on twitter during the week. Sorry, I've been offline pretty much until this weekend otherwise I would have let y'all know. Looking forward to getting my hands on the 18g ones for the cafe, as well as Inny & Mark Prince, Tim Wendelboe has given them a wrap. Those three combined is enough good press to convince me!
  • For those in Brisbane, One Drop is doing an order and the charge for postage is $5 extra. Contact them for more details if it's not to late.
  • Patience guys, wont be long and retailers here will have them on the shelves. ;)
  • on 1304817550:
    Patience guys, wont be long and retailers here will have them on the shelves. ;)
    Only 1 company brings in LM stuff, and at a profit......
  • on 1304819577:
    on 1304817550:
    Patience guys, wont be long and retailers here will have them on the shelves. ;)
    Only 1 company brings in LM stuff, and at a profit......
    Morning Ronin, welcome to the forum. Not trying to be smart but that's the nature of business, no profit means you cease to exist. My feeling is they will retail here a bit below $40, I'm all for buying this type of thing overseas if there is a substantial saving or the product is not available in Aust, but to save 10 or 15 bucks, its just not worth stuffing around. ;)
  • Morning Ronin, welcome to the forum. Not trying to be smart but that's the nature of business, no profit means you cease to exist. My feeling is they will retail here a bit below $40, I'm all for buying this type of thing overseas if there is a substantial saving or the product is not available in Aust, but to save 10 or 15 bucks, its just not worth stuffing around. ;)
    Thanks for the welcome. I realise that without profit, there is no business. Just stating the odvious  ;D
  • Anyone tried these who can recommend them?
  • Not that I have heard, I have my hand up for a couple. Will let you know when they come in. Cheers Brett
  • Cup Speciality coffee in Brisbane is using them. Had a coffee there on sat, asked josh if they're good, he asked me how it tasted :) Compared visually to  other LM basket and looks like it's lasered, nice clean holes with buring removed. Much cleaner than other basket. Mine should arrive soon to compare taste against synesso basket.
  • My baskets (18g & 22g) arrived Sat morning and had the opportunity to compare the VST baskets with my Synesso double and the Expobar double that came with the Minore. I've only used the 18g basket so far for comparative reasons. I cleaned all components, Machine, basket and grinder. First impressions - Better build quality than the others, with visibly more holes that are more evenly spaced, and closer to the edge. The Synesso & Expobar baskets appear simmilar except the Expobar basket is rigded.. VST basket is more vertical than the others with a smaller radius at the bottom. Overall, looks and feels better to me. Cons - Unless you have an LM group handle or a naked handle, the basket might not fit. The straighter walls and smaller radius of the baskets do not allow it to fit into the Expobar group handle, lucky i've got a naked, but if I wanted to split shots I'd need a differend handle. Pros - Feels like it might have a teflon type coating and the puck, post extraction, comes away easier than the others. Might seem trivial but it makes cleaning the basket easier. Had to change my technique for the VST baskets, grinding finer to get a simmilar extaction. I settled on a 19g of coffee and a 27 sec extraction, double ristretto, to produce aprox 28mls of coffee for each basket. I purchased some beans for consistancy (and my roaster has been waiting for parts). I used my Expobar Minore III , Mazzer Kony E, naker handle  and weighed the ground coffee before shot. Yet to try it with flat burrs but I don't see this as necessayy for the test. Conclusion so far........ Shots seem to be more rounded. By that I mean with the Expobar & Synesso baskets, the flavour of the coffee hit all the points on my pallet I thought it would, But with the VST basket, it seemed to fill the void that I didn't notice before. The flavour seemed to be not so compartmentalised, but fuller. This also pointed out that perhaps more body was produced by the new baskets. Yet to try the 22g basket, and for now at least I'm very happy with my $30 outlay per basket as I feel it's produced a better cup, at my house anyway.
  • Nominated for something hay............... Acceptance is the key LOL
  • I've been testing mine (22g) over the last couple days.  Definitely see a marked improvement over my traditional double.  I had to pick up a naked PF, because mine simply wasn't deep enough. On first look, the holes are very evenly spaced, all go through and the pattern goes all the way to the edges of the basket. First attempt:  Weighed 22g and used normal dosing/tamping technique.  Not bad for a first attempt at using a naked.  Only a tiny pinhole along one edge.  Pour was spot on. Second attempt:  Same weight and technique, with just a minor adjustment for the previous channelling.  Extraction was perfect, no complaints. Impression in the cup:  Compared to standard baskets, there is definitely a difference.  Getting much more well-rounded flavours, and better mouthfeel.  This can be attributed in part to simply having more coffee in the bigger basket.  However, there is just so much more going on in the cup.  Definitely better IMO.