frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Custom handles and stuff

edited January 1970 in Accessories
Kelsey;  Found a piece of dead wood in the letter box  :thumb:

Can not remember what you wanted... Just another Steam/hot water one ?

Not much Mango wood around, so looked at some other special stuff I had...  MISTAKE !!!

Lovely material with strange yellow flecks through it... roughed it out and within 5 min I am covered in a itchy rash  :o

Some time on the weekend I will attempt to find a bit of Mango for you... Off for a shower, right now.

Comments

• on 1343974610:
    Lovely material with strange yellow flecks through it...
    Yellow or Gold flecks? Could be rosewood, comes up a treat, great for outdoor or weathered places, like a hot and wet coffee machine  :thumb:
  • Ah yes, the old bloody-kill-ya!
  • Been scalped many a time by them - look pretty in flower though  :D
  • Another steam/water tap would be great and a PF handle if tgere's enough wood. If not, maybe I should make a trip to a wood merchant at some point?
  • Loverly!! Can't wait.... Quick question - would I be advised to perhaps laquer these? I didn't need to with the last one, but I've noticed the current steam taps get quite damp if I use the steam wand or water tap to warm a cup. Much more steam on this beastie than the last machine!
  • on 1344048667:
    Loverly!! Can't wait.... Quick question - would I be advised to perhaps laquer these? I didn't need to with the last one, but I've noticed the current steam taps get quite damp if I use the steam wand or water tap to warm a cup. Much more steam on this beastie than the last machine!
    Say this in that unique accent Wax ON Wax Off - grasshopper One from Devo Wax it wax it good :thumb: :thumb: KK
  • Waxing it is then, ideally liked the raw look and matte feel. I assume wood wax is something I can get a bunnings? KK - was going to say something about waxing asses....
  • Bees wax is OK - best used when it's warm Leather wax/conditioner is OK if it's the clear type Furniture oil is also OK Almond oil will also work KK
  • Danish oil is great but it will give the wood a luster.  Just ensure you follow the instructions  :thumb:
  • Oops, haven't told anyone to pick them up yet!
  • Will you and KK be seeing each other before next Tuesday when he comes up this way? I think that might be the soonest Brisbane-to-coast trip I know of...
  • If you want to protect the handles and show them off then you simply can't go past Xtroll Wood preserver. Google it. Absolute Gold- the best product for this application; you never heard off. PS. (tradies inside secret- don't tell anyone) You probly can't buy it in a small enough quantity... But I have some and I can be bribed and enticed by good coffee... Hmmmm? Nah- forget all the waxes and varnishes, utter crap... Bit harsh... But made my point Xtroll will need to be redone around annually, but 30 seconds annually is such small consolation for the benefits. AM: You in particular should get some- brilliant product- oil based- Tung primarily I saw the inventor a few years ago (20) and he put it on his tongue to demonstrate it is non toxic I subsequently coated a piece of plywood and dropped it in a jar of water. I think it's still there. Anyway after 2 years the plywood was as good as the day I put it in. Doesn't yellow like a varnish or epoxy, shows off the grain like nothing else, penetrating, non slip, what else do you need to know... Ah yes, I live in Brisbane so size your enticements accordingly, lol
  • My extensive experience with all of those oil based products in exterior applications is they attract mould like a mother, go black and need recoating every 6 -9 months depending on exposure to sun.
  • on 1344651642:
    My extensive experience with all of those oil based products in exterior applications is they attract mould like a mother, go black and need recoating every 6 -9 months depending on exposure to sun.
    Hey derrilex, What you just told me is that in all your extensive experience you have never used Xtroll. :-) You should try it, you might even surprise yourself and find you're as impressed with it as I am. :deal Saw your vids- very impressive. I've actually been using epoxies for years- boatbuilding being my lifelong passion. :Lotsafun
  • I'd love to have a look at it but there is no way I would use it on a customers deck on here say. How much is it ?
  • I have to seal some exposed wood door / window frame Gets wet when it rains What product is it in particular as there are a few See link http://www.xtrollglobal.com.au/timberproducts.php
  • Derrilex, I said nothing about decks. That's a different product I know nothing about, sorry can't help you there. You must have your wires crossed with whoever you get your hearsay from.
  • KK, The very best protection for your window frames, etc is a good outdoor paint system. A good paint system will last at least 10 years if you abuse it and almost indefinitely if you look after it and recoat every 5-7 years. Am I missing something? OG
  • Spot on DX.  We've got heaps of decking Timber at home as well as many screens and hardwood timber fences.  The oil based treatments are easy but the mould is giving me the pips.  I've recoated every 12 Months like a good boy and it smells pretty toxic so how is there mould?  I've used This: http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/wood_care/spa_n_deck.php On the main deck and it is much better but the price is up there. 
  • on 1344688229:
    KK, The very best protection for your window frames, etc is a good outdoor paint system. A good paint system will last at least 10 years if you abuse it and almost indefinitely if you look after it and recoat every 5-7 years. Am I missing something? OG
    From new it was painted with a clear now it's exposed wood  So I would like to keep the natural wood look but protected KK
  • Yep Brett, Spa 'n'deck is good product. Steer clear of the oil based stuff. KK, paint is king for outdoor timber as OG said - unless you like painting windows every 6 months :mad: I'm reasonably curious now about the troll, proof is in the pudding though so off to AM's with ya and get it on. Whats your trade OG ?
  • It seems we have wandered a long way OT. I started by suggesting that Xtroll Wood Preserver, a product I am quite familiar with, but not an expert on, would be ideal for the timber handles, and I stand by that. Whilst Xtroll is a superior trade product, there is unfortunately no such thing as a magic wand. Any specific applications, may I suggest you contact the Manufacturer ;-)
  • on 1344732633:
    OT as to possible usage maybe; but all relevant if looking to understand how the stuff might manage water and usage. My deck was done with somthing that may well have been Xtroll ?  Done my an old Italian boat builder and was in top condition for 15 years and only in the last 5 years have I treated it twice more with so called decking oils etc. The latest stuff seems to last about 18months and then needs a re coat. The stuff  he used came as either a pre mix or two part and was very fruitin expensive !!!!  However in hind site it was worth every cent.  If only I kept the records as he has passed away and unable to find out what he used.  Other than it was a timber marine product but did not look like a varnish etc. I can not even recall if he had to use a pre treatment or it was just one or even two coats....  But 4L was just enough to do my rear deck. I think there may have just been 1cm left... But if I could, I would not have any hesitation in using it, on any wood for what ever purpose. That is the problem with hind sight, the actual opportunity may no long be available.
    I've seen your deck.  I reckon it was Sikkens: http://www.tenaru.com.au/ Spa and deck is up there price wise but your stuff is  ??? The price to do all my timber in Sikkens was worth more thank the house I reckon!  :rofl:
  • Nothing wrong with going OT as long as questions are answered. http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/wood_care/deks_olje_1.php AM Ive used this before - another flood product. Worked OK, for 6 months in full sun, cost a bucket load. Would never use it again though
  • Thanks to AM Betsy II is all wooded up again and all is right with the world! The sharp eyed among you might also notice an extra lump of wood - my wife surprised me for my birthday today with a Pullman Nexus and a VST basket combo! Both of which worked extremely well from the outset. I'm particularly happy with the matched tamper/basket situation. The old tamper wasn't exactly a precision fit. Now I need to get the dose really right!! Thanks again AM, I'm super chuffed!
  • The sharp eyed among us might also see your tamper sitting on the bench in a pile of ground coffee. Whats up with that Kelsey ? :rofl: :rofl: You just need AM to do you a matching PF handle now. The OE part just doesn't cut it
  • As far as Flood an Sikkens products are concerned, I would describe them as mass produced products- made to a price... But Sikkens for example is sold at a premium price- but not made to a premium standard. Each has their place in the market and I've used both and still use Flood products for certain applications, but I found Sikkens 'wanting.' Each to their own, I suppose. Some people are satisfied with Nescaf
  • on 1344778345:
    Nothing wrong with that as long as I decide which questions I answer. but I've seen and heard enough to last me a lifetime and I've got absolutely nothing to prove. OG
    Ummmmm, ok then. Good for you.
  • on 1344817386:
    Give me aprox. 3 weeks :-)  Then we can have a small session  :thumb:
    No Probs. I try to never miss a session 'in the shed'. I might even introduce you to the world of laminating (timbers), vac-bagging and epoxy. Think Red Cedar and Pine or Jarrah and Vic Ash- Stunning Contrasts- real eye-ball candy... You could take those handles of yours to a whole new level... Imagine an Izzo with black carbon fibre handles- to offset those ferrari red side panels... Now we're singing in the rain.... or a combination of carbon fibre and cast resin ala derrilex... Hell, you could laminate the side/boring back panels themselves in carbon fibre and really get eyes poppin outta heads... Yeah, Carbon can be expensive- but we are literally talkin only off-cut size pieces and single layers here and in such small quantities purchase cost is not an issue. However, I draw the line at making carbon dildoes... Lol So you're gonna need a new 'pattern' to work from. Cheers, OG