frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Addis Ababa macchiato

edited August 2012 in Cafe reviews
Here's a pic of a 'standard' macchiato served up in Ethiopia. Looks a bit funny but tasted great, and cost only thirty cents !!    I suspect they pour the milk first...  All the cafes I visited seem to be using levers of varying age.

Comments

• more pics please :) it'd be interesting to see what cafe's in those countries look like!
  • I distinctly remember some of my travels in the middle east, lounging in a nondescript cafe, sipping coffees made with evaporated milk, smoking a hookah and playing cards.  Not the hustle and bustle of today's establishments.  Mind you, the internet was extremely young at that stage, and nobody had a mobile phone.
  • on 1346374304:
    more pics please :) it'd be interesting to see what cafe's in those countries look like!
    Here's some pics (not mine, courtesy tripadvisor) from a good one I visited on a previous visit. Most shops don't use lighting during the day, so when you first walk in, it's so dark you can't see a damn thing...  You pay your money to the cashier in the white coat at the front counter, collect a plastic token, then walk to the back (last pic) and order your coffee. filename-img-20120607.jpg filename-l1050145-jpg.jpg different-kind-of-beans.jpg the-grind.jpg filename-img-2815-jpg.jpg
  • What a great thread Love the authenticity of the moment in the birthplace of coffee How's life in that part of the wild world Borat KK
  • great thread Borat--love it!! Keep em' coming!!
  • Nice one Borat!  I love the Fawlty Towers-esque wall mounted Stag above the door in the last one.  :laugh:
  • Is moose Mr Fawlty :rofl:
  • Here's some more random pics to give you a feel for the place.  Highly recommend for a visit if you every get the chance. A pic of a traditional dish.  Meat in the middle, surrounded by mounds of different spicy sauces, all laid out on top of a spongy, sour flat bread called injera: IMG_3931_z.jpg And this is the cultural restaurant where it was served.  Extremely cheap, and live music + dancing all night.  Mid way through the performance a shoulder contortionist put on a show too! IMG_3923_z.jpg Nearly all the taxi's are very small, 40yr old broken down Fiat's like this one.  Bit of squish to get into, and top speed about 30kph - not that you would be wanting to go much faster on the roads there anyway...  No traffic lights, even at 5 or six way intersections.  Everything somehow seems to make it through to the other side. IMG_4315_z.jpg IMG_4390_z.jpg This guy was standing in the middle of the road.  Apparently there is an Ethiopian fable about a goat, and that's why the stone is there.  (I forgot the details of the story already.....) IMG_4011_z.jpg
  • love the pics! and that meat dish surrounded by sauces, man i'm starving now lol
  • on 1346462688:
    love the pics! and that meat dish surrounded by sauces, man i'm starving now lol
    I adore this type of cuisine also.  Anything with condiments and the spicier, the better!  Great pics and great thread!