frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

New baby lever

I was looking to get a Caravel for camping duty, but ended up getting one that I'm going to use for both home and camping.  Found this one one on Ebay, and at a reasonable price.

Here's a few pics from the ad. Apologies for the crap quality.

With a bit of luck it should be here within a week or so...

Comments

• That looks awesome Borat. 
  • I thought it looked in pretty good shape too. Hopefully it needs only a set of seals, a bit of cabling and it will be good to go. Looking at Francesco's site, it's a 1960 first series (v1.1) - The one with a higher quality build, heavier stainless and better fitting body parts.  It should also have the hole in the face of the piston. Shame it didn't come with the dosing spoon.
  • Nice one mate! The earlier ones like this are definitely the more desirable models. It looks in good nick too. The dosing spoons are next to useless anyway, better to get a dosing funnel from Orphan Espresso IMO.
  • Well done Borat  :thumb: Great pick up We have all seen your restoration work with your current machine and if the Caravel receives the same treatment it will be better than new when you are finished KK
  • You will be needing a new tamper. My tamper is 43.4mm, but I could probably have gone for 44mm. A dosing funnel is on my list. Small basket is kinda fiddly. Your caravel looks identical to mine.
  • I was going to tamp with my custom fat thumb... ;) Any ideas where I can get a small tamper that would suit?
  • on 1380514280:
    I was going to tamp with my custom fat thumb... ;) Any ideas where I can get a small tamper that would suit?
    http://sorrentinacoffee.myshopify.com/collections/tampers
  • Thanks I'll check it out.  Shame I can't just go out and buy this stuff locally..
  • on 1380501609:
    Your caravel looks identical to mine.
    Did you find yours on EBay?  There was a nice old VAM that sold yesterday for four hundred something euro's...
  • on 1380514280:
    I was going to tamp with my custom fat thumb... ;) Any ideas where I can get a small tamper that would suit?
    Hi Borat Sorrentina's tamper is no doubt an excellent product but the Orphan Espresso tamper I use on my Caravel's has one thing thing I particularly like and that is the fact that the thickness of the tamper lines up perfectly with the top of the basket when you have the correct dose giving immediate feedback on whether you have over or under dosed. If you are checking out Orphans site they also have dosing funnels for the Caravel basket which are excellent The basket is quite small and depending on your grinder it can be hard to get all the coffee where you want it, the funnel directs the coffee into the basket avoiding spillage. Enjoy the Caravel it makes brilliant coffee.
  • on 1380519194:
    Did you find yours on EBay?  There was a nice old VAM that sold yesterday for four hundred something euro's...
    I got mine from fellow crema galumay. I thought it wise to buy a known good, working one from someone I trust. Very  happy with it so far.
  • Good to hear. eBay can be a bit of a gamble sometimes.
  • very cool, I hear great reports about the shots they produce What size tamper do they take?
  • on 1380521243:
    Hi Borat Sorrentina's tamper is no doubt an excellent product but the Orphan Espresso tamper I use on my Caravel's has one thing thing I particularly like and that is the fact that the thickness of the tamper lines up perfectly with the top of the basket when you have the correct dose giving immediate feedback on whether you have over or under dosed.
    Was it the stubby handle tamper that you bought?  I need some seals as well so it makes sense to look at getting everything from the one place.
  • Yes I did buy the Stubby Handle. Orphan also have a rebuild guide on their site that is worth scanning before getting started. I also puchased a set of seals from Francesco. His seal kit produced a tighter seal, he provides an O ring which you can add under under the lip of the main seal, it provides some additional resistance. I used that on a second model Caravel. Not sure if you have seen his website but there is some useful information especially the seal configurations and dimensions for different models.
  • on 1380529228:
    very cool, I hear great reports about the shots they produce What size tamper do they take?
    on 1380501609:
    My tamper is 43.4mm, but I could probably have gone for 44mm.
  • I have a different source for the seals in Europe, will post the contact then I dig it up, his are the best of all I have tried so far. Here we go, http://www.trukaffe.kurtaugustyns.com/cms/?p=75 Kurt is really helpful, drop him an email with what you want.
  • Thanks, I think I also saw his ad on HB. I've ordered a set of seals from Kurt, and yes he was very helpful.  Nearly $50 (plus shipping) was a bit steep I thought, but hey, if they do the job then I guess it was money well spent.
  • Still waiting for the Caravel and the seals - I think both are shipping from Italy today. I haven't quite made up my mind yet what I'm going to do for a tamper...
  • The Orphan dosing funnels are very useful so grab an Orphan Tamper at the same time, you will not be disappointed Speaking from experience you will need it on hand the day the Caravel arrives otherwise you will be very frustrated trying to find a spice jar to get you started
  • Looks like the seals will arrive before the unit itself..  The Caravel still hasn't left Italy yet - combination of Fedex stuffing around and the shipper being slow & difficult  :pan
  • on 1381035983:
    Looks like the seals will arrive before the unit itself..  The Caravel still hasn't left Italy yet - combination of Fedex stuffing around and the shipper being slow & difficult  :pan
    Could be extra checks for your location KK
  • on 1381037740:
    Could be extra checks for your location KK
    Unlikely. Don't think any concerns with stuff coming from Italy these days.
  • with all the flying you do..........
  • I see your machine has been delivered. All in good order? Ahh. On closer inspection, that must be the  seals. Weight of 0.2kg in an envelope probably isn't the caravel.
  • Yes, you guessed it, the seals arrived yesterday. Still waiting on the Caravel.
  • The Caravel has made a quick 24hr trip from Italy to Dubai. Its still at Fedex but hopefully should be out for delivery tomorrow.
  • Who did you get it from, sounds very interesting! J
  • Jan - It was a pick up from Ebay.. Fedex finally arrived this afternoon.  Here's a first look out of the box, wow!  It's a work of art! Much smaller than I thought it would be.  No damage in transit and I think overall the condition is excellent.  With all the stuffing around, delays and communicating via google translate, I thought at one stage I'd done my dough, but it all worked out good in the end.. :thumb: The next job is a clean, replace the seals and then a good polish.  (and buy a tamper..) image-3.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg Anyone know if this is single or a double basket? image6.jpeg Check out the dinky little portafilter (next to one from the Urania for comparison) image5.jpeg image-4.jpeg
  • Stunning! Lucky find indeed. I think a small "from Jan to Jan" present is in order. Will just have to smuggle it into the house! J