frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

New (to me) Behmor roaster

I managed to pick up a 2nd hand Behmor roaster yesterday, in Darwin! The previous owner also threw in around 6-7kg of leftover beans that he no longer needed. Result! If most of them turn out ok, that will be a fair bit of the money claimed back from the purchase compared to buying locally.

I didn't get the machine home in time to do a roast last night, so had to wait until I got home from work today.

I decided to just jump in at the deep end, and try for a "proper" roast, 300g beans, using the 1lb, p2, c setting that the previous owner recommended. Luckily I have some sacrificial beans to use for my initial practice roasts, some Peru segunda wilds purchased from CS a couple of years ago.

The description for these back then was "Wild picked, ugly, chipped, broken, blacks, odd sized and unsorted.* It roasts uneven but if you can look past all the indicators that this will be a bad coffee then in the cup you will find that it produces what can only be described as a 5 bean single origin blend.* Milled by Cafe Perusha this coffee is sold as a commercial base bean but it drinks ok by itself.* Good body, low acidity and at $7/kg this bargain coffee will surprise you."

Now these are not just any old Peru Segunda Wilds, these are Peru Segunda Wilds that have sat in a dark cupboard in the humidity of Darwin for around two years (possibly 3 summers) so they didn't look too pretty before I even started (I hereby submit photo 1 as evidence).
IMG_20140304_201606.jpg

The machine started with 21 minutes and 30 seconds on the clock, and was down to somewhere near 10:00 by the time I heard the initial first crack. I wedged the door open with a wooden spoon, and let 1st crack roll on by before closing the door up and waiting for the initial sounds of 2nd crack which occurred with 6:30 left on the clock.  I immediately hit cool, opened the door a bit more and let the beans cool down.

I am pleasantly surprised by the roast - yes there is a little inconsistency, but when the green beans varied by as much as they did, I am surprised the roast came out as well as it did.
IMG_20140304_201626.jpg

Comments

• Great work Eggbert A few roasts under your belt and you will be a pro at it KK
  • Nice roast mate. :)  Can't wait to hear how they taste.
  • Looking good mate.  Seriously good pickup!
  • I know it is still a little early to be using the beans I roasted, but I couldn't wait any longer. They are not the best of beans in an espresso but not too bad in milk.  Now that I have tried them I can more confidently try roasting some "proper" beans this weekend. Surprisingly, considering how fresh they are, they need a much finer grind than beans I have been using from mycuppa.
  • That's pretty normal, needing a finer grind, well I found that as well anyway, no idea why. That looks great for a first go, especially considering what you started with, they would have to be the ugliest beans I've ever seen  :D