frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

La Pavoni Pro 1996

edited January 1970 in Projects & Rebuilds
So my la Pav has had a new seal kit in and around the group, a clean of the boiler and thanks to Mark QM0996 a new cord... But the darn thing started leaking out of the boiler.  I removed the element plate for a look and there's no gasket... A bit of scale but no gasket!!  I've cleaned the fitting and run some PFTE tape, re-sealed and fired it up.  All good! 

Am I better of making a silicone gasket, sourcing an o-ring... Or leaving well enough alone now that it's happy.  I will fire it up every night this week but I want it for next weekend when I'm off on a music-camp. 

Thoughts please brains-trust.

Comments

• on 1395053385:
    So my la Pav has had a new seal kit in and around the group, a clean of the boiler and thanks to Mark QM0996 a new cord... But the darn thing started leaking out of the boiler.  I removed the element plate for a look and there's no gasket... A bit of scale but no gasket!!  I've cleaned the fitting and run some PFTE tape, re-sealed and fired it up.  All good!  Am I better of making a silicone gasket, sourcing an o-ring... Or leaving well enough alone now that it's happy.  I will fire it up every night this week but I want it for next weekend when I'm off on a music-camp.  Thoughts please brains-trust.
    I have a whole lot of parts for one of those here...  But not sure exactly which gasket / seal your referencing. I would go with an original if possible but have a plan B
  • on 1395055008:
    I have a whole lot of parts for one of those here...  But not sure exactly which gasket / seal your referencing. I would go with an original if possible but have a plan B
    Thanks for the reply mate.  It's called the element seal from memory.  There's an element seal on coffee parts that looks compatible with the newer stainless steel element caps but mine is the old copper cap and element cover.  I've seen generic gaskets used for this but mine had absolutely no gasket or remnants of gaskets at all!  Metal to metal... And it sealed util yesterday.  Seals fine again 2nd test tonight also good.  Will PFTE tape perish under this sort of heat? 
  • PTFE tape will handle the  heat fine. As it is very thin,  it will only seal if mating faces are really smooth - obviously yours are. Frequent heat/cool cycles MAY cause it to leak, but probably not. If you want to make a silicone gasket, the $2 shop sells silicone baking pans, grab one and cut it as required to make a gasket
  • If it's sealed with the tape I would just leave it and see how it goes.  Should be ok for your weekend away until you source another seal. :) Found this great site with a full pull down of the pavoni. http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pavoni/Dr_Pavoni/seal replacement.htm Just off the bottom is shows 2 elements, a copper element and a stainless steel element with the appropriate seal. ;)
  • Thanks guys for all the great responses.  I've got a couple of silicone sheets purchased cheaply for exactly that reason.  I'll fire it up every day and let you know.  My backup plan is a bottle of Turkish coffee in my freezer courtesy of Mark.  It was actually just what the doctor ordered!!!!  Cheers everyone!