frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

I'm building a KKTO for a member

A Crema member contacted me by telephone after he visited Barazi - Bezzera Australia
He had a look at the demo model owned by Chris and offered money to buy it

But alas it was not for sale
We'll after a few phone calls and a little arm twisting I offered to make one

The preferred Arcosteel Pasta pot set was supplied
And to complete the build -
Some parts were used from the Koffee Kosmo shop
Parts that are no longer available were invented or manufactured with home tools and made to fit
Other items needed were purchased

For those that are interested - this thread will be a start to finish compilation of the build

KK

Comments

• The first step is to drill the pots [attachimg=1] [attachimg=2]
  • Then cut the high temperature insulation that sits under the false floor plate Afterwards cut the plate and use high temperature silicone to secure I used a DIY bush circle scribe to mark the circle line on the aluminium plate The roaster is designed to work best with a specific volume and by raising the pot floor one is reducing the volume [attachimg=1]  [attachimg=2] [attachimg=3]  [attachimg=4]
  • Now it's time to start the base In this case I used what I had on hand - A circle of 25mm MDF I also purchased some caster wheels to fit on the underside of the base This serves as clearance for the motor that is to be fitted a little later on and for mobility I have also made the connector for the 12 Volt power supply And you will see some parts like the drive shaft and a dual agitator blade that I will fit and adjust to suit for coupling [attachimg=1] [attachimg=2]  
  • Ok the next step is to fit the drive motor and the wheels [attachimg=1] [attachimg=2]
  • Then do the auto centre guides It's preferable to glue and let it dry before adding the screw [attachimg=1]
  • While that's drying the next step is to cut and fit the high temperature tubes These tubes prevent heat escaping from 2 areas The join of the two pot sections and the coupling of the turbo oven You will also see that I have installed the agitator blade ready for testing and roasting [attachimg=1] [attachimg=2]
  • Hi fellow members, I am a new member on this site, I was previously a member on another site which I will not mention. I would like to give a huge thank-you and praise to Paul (KK) in offering to make my KKTO. As I have a very sick wife at home who had a major stroke and could not find the time to build one myself, as I am her full time carer. What I have seen so far has absolutely impressed me. The workmanship that Paul has put into my KKTO is a credit to him. I have never been a person to heap praise on someone that I have only met once, but in Paul's case there is an exception. Thanks Paul, I can't wait to try it. :thumb: 
  • Welcome Gouly. :thumb: How come he gets the flash agitator and you give me the funny one ?  :rofl:
  • on 1403935597:
    Welcome Gouly. :thumb: How come he gets the flash agitator and you give me the funny one ?  :rofl:
    Three reasons 1) It's to big for your roaster insert 2) It's set up to lock onto the perforated insert ( yours is inverted ) 3) You are driving your roaster clockwise and it's my set up is anti clockwise KK
  • A simple " because he is paying for it " would have sufficed  :D
  • And he expects to pay for it too!!!!!
  • Prior to finishing the next step all items were mocked up for good fit Then all attached items were removed and the MDF was sealed before final fitting as seen below Next step is to connect the 12volt wiring and connector All nice and neat  :thumb: [attachimg=1] [attachimg=2]
  • Add the security screws for the auto centre [attachimg=1]
  • Testing the agitator action prior to its first roast [attachimg=1]
  • Maiden roast of Gouly's  roaster 700 grams of Colombian Bachue 18 [attachimg=1] Great results to second crack [attachimg=2] And the chaff collection works as it should [attachimg=3]
  • Looks fantastic Paul, now the fun begins.  :thumb:
  • Kudos Gouly on the new roaster. As always Paul... We are in awe of your talents.
  • on 1404185058:
    Kudos Gouly on the new roaster. As always Paul... We are in awe of your talents.
    My hope for this thread is to inspire others to build a KKTO roaster YES - Some DIY skills are needed however once built, one will have a great roaster design that will just roast beautifully thousands of times for its maker KK
  • Result KK ! Roast looks tops. Enjoy Gouly :thumb: :thumb:
  • Thanks Derrilex, Paul did a fantastic job,  ^-^ I hope one day, I can roast coffee 1/4 as good as he can. ::)
  • on 1404215647:
    Thanks Derrilex, Paul did a fantastic job,  ^-^ I hope one day, I can roast coffee 1/4 as good as he can. ::)
    You don't need to do anything - just let the roaster do the job Easy - just load green beans and cool beans when done Then enjoy KK
  • Saw it in action today. Goes very nicely despite and older element type TO. A new halogen unit and Gouly will be roasting like a, well, trooper :D
  • Yes very impressive, I am like a little kid with a new toy, I can't stop looking at it. Thanks for your valued information today derrilex. What was that brand of halogen cooker again thanks.  :question:
  • on 1404290312:
    Yes very impressive, I am like a little kid with a new toy, I can't stop looking at it. Thanks for your valued information today derrilex. What was that brand of halogen cooker again thanks.  :question:
    Not sure if you will find this brand Highlander You can also get well priced Turbo  ovens at - Homeart Aldi Online from various vendors They are mostly halogen and shine a light on the roast when it cycles on KK
  • I have started another KKTO build & Bean Cooler for an enthusiast Today I completed the cooler I used a 13 lt bucket as the HELLER brand exhaust fan fitted snugly Holes drilled for exhaust and opposite the power cord entry [attachimg=1] I used a wash basin and cut the bottom out for the sift unit to fit into it [attachimg=2] The fully assembled unit [attachimg=3] During the build I will post photos as it's happening as there will be a few small changes with the base and I will make a wire type agitator KK
  • Same bucket and fan as mine KK ?
  • Where's the sift unit from KK, and what is it made out of? Looks a bit plasticy - is it alright with beans in contact at 200C+ temps? Cheers.
  • on 1404878183:
    Where's the sift unit from KK, and what is it made out of? Looks a bit plasticy - is it alright with beans in contact at 200C+ temps? Cheers.
    All from bunnings The perforated section is a hard plastic seed or soil sift I an pretty sure it will be OK for heat and if not the design lends itself to interchange just about any metal colander type if required KK
  • Thanks. Might get around to sorting my bean cooler out again one day and it is always good to get inspiration from successful projects here
  • on 1404907342:
    Thanks. Might get around to sorting my bean cooler out again one day and it is always good to get inspiration from successful projects here
    With that in mind I have given the new owner two options By inserting a stainless steel ring and using the left over colander insert from the pot set I came up with this [attachimg=1] [attachimg=2] KK