frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Egg Brew

Anyone tried this?  :doh:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc2J_Ay8fCQ

apparently this poaching (sorry brewing) method removes acidity and bitterness from coffee.  :stir

I might give it a crack with some supermarket grinds to see what its all about.

Comments

• Morning GK, you've brightened up my day, cant believe what I just saw, don't think I'll be trying to replicate it any time soon. The music was an absolute hoot. :rofl:
  • We have a thread on this method from last year At the time I made the observation that the egg white is used to catch the coffee grounds Or as a filter KK
  • I thought she was going to put the coffee/egg on her Ryvitas  ^-^.
  • on 1433113175:
    We have a thread on this method from last year At the time I made the observation that the egg white is used to catch the coffee grounds Or as a filter KK
    sorry mate. Didn't see the thread - possibly due to browsing the forum at 1am :) From what I saw it filters and from what I've read t removed bitterness and acidity and becomes more like tea. I'll give it a crack soon and post results.
  • on 1433116653:
    sorry mate. Didn't see the thread - possibly due to browsing the forum at 1am :) From what I saw it filters and from what I've read t removed bitterness and acidity and becomes more like tea. I'll give it a crack soo and post results.
    Just getting in some practice for being up in the early hours  ;D. I can't wait to see what you think of it, some piccies would be good too  >:D.
  • on 1433116825:
    Just getting in some practice for being up in the early hours  ;D. I can't wait to see what you think of it, some piccies would be good too  >:D.
    ill try it out and post pics once I build up the courage to buy supermarket preground lavazza.
  • on 1433113175:
    We have a thread on this method from last year At the time I made the observation that the egg white is used to catch the coffee grounds Or as a filter KK
    And I tried it  ??? Then quickly put it in the "not going there again" box :exclaim: Just wasn't to my (acquired?) taste I'm afraid. Have a go at it by all means GeekKopi, it will be interesting to another's feedback.  :P
  • on 1433120115:
    ill try it out and post pics once I build up the courage to buy supermarket preground lavazza.
    Don't forget to take a paper bag to put over your head while buying the Lavazza  ^-^.
  • on 1433122768:
    Don't forget to take a paper bag to put over your head while buying the Lavazza  ^-^.
    I'll have to dress incognito, grow a beard first, sunglasses, messy hair, uncoordinated clothes. Sheesh, I sound like a hipster. [emoji33]
  • on 1433120115:
    And what are you going to do with all the left over SPL? Garden fertiliser perhaps?  :thumb: Cheaper and better choice IMO, is to use your own 'fresh' coffee, 'freshly' ground to get the best possible result from an experimental brew. That way you won't be confused as to which ingredient may have spoiled the resulting brew.  ::)  :stir BTW; it's probably best consumed on an empty stomach.  ;D
  • on 1433126312:
    And what are you going to do with all the left over SPL? Garden fertiliser perhaps?  :thumb: Cheaper and better choice IMO, is to use your own 'fresh' coffee, 'freshly' ground to get the best possible result from an experimental brew. That way you won't be confused as to which ingredient may have spoiled the resulting brew.  ::)  :stir BTW; it's probably best consumed on an empty stomach.  ;D
    good point Kev. But any left over lavazza will go to guests or be used as antrid.
  • And these "guests" would be in the category: "I couldn't care if they never come back"  ::)
  • on 1433128299:
    And these "guests" would be in the category: "I couldn't care if they never come back"  ::)
    these guests are the ones that ask for Nescafé instant so I'm upping the ante in quality for them. I'll even make it for them on the old breville with a pressurised basket to ensure there is heaps of crema. [emoji41]. I could never abuse my e61 brew group with lavazza - I'll have to burn the machine in the backyard. Lol [emoji13]
  • Looks a bit wak to me.... I must try it.  Long weekend here I come
  • I'm still smiling at the music, Round and Round was a hit for Perry Como back in, wait for it 1957, that's almost 60 years ago, thought it was a pretty ordinary song back then, haven't changed my mind. Now we have a very strange method of brewing coffee accompanied by a weird song sung in Norwegian, my day is complete. Did I mention we're having rabbit stew for dinner this evening. :laugh: Here's a link to the Como version. :coffee2:
  • on 1433148447:
    I'm still smiling at the music, Round and Round was a hit for Perry Como back in, wait for it 1957, that's almost 60 years ago, thought it was a pretty ordinary song back then, haven't changed my mind. Now we have a very strange method of brewing coffee accompanied by a weird song sung in Norwegian, my day is complete. Did I mention we're having rabbit stew for dinner this evening. :laugh: Here's a link to the Como version. :coffee2:
    Been years since I had rabbit stew!  Pretty good from memory.
  • Been a long time since we had it as well Brett, was in Moonta the other day, the local butcher had a sign up, Wild rabbits, couldn't resist. :)
  • Haven't tried it but I do make my own caveman coffee with espresso,  coconut oil,  and unsalted grass fed butter  - sounds disgusting tastes delicious if well made !
  • on 1433149876:
    Been a long time since we had it as well Brett, was in Moonta the other day, the local butcher had a sign up, Wild rabbits, couldn't resist. :)
    Great success, the recipe is a keeper. :thumb:
  • on 1433198764:
    Great success, the recipe is a keeper. :thumb:
    for a second there DB I thought you were talking about egg brewing. Phew!
  • Will I get the boot for saying I would take the egg brew over the rabbit stew any day? I don't mean the egg brew poured over the rabbit stew either  :P.
  • on 1433212239:
    Will I get the boot for saying I would take the egg brew over the rabbit stew any day? I don't mean the egg brew poured over the rabbit stew either  :P.
    Nope, we all have different tastes. Not really rabbit stew "Tuscan rabbit with pancetta and rosemary" Really was very good, even Heather made the comment that the recipe is a keeper, we agreed it would work equally well with lamb or chicken. First time I've used balsamic when cooking, great addition, I substituted bacon for pancetta.  :) Here's the link http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/29437/tuscan+rabbit+with+pancetta+and+rosemary
  • on 1433215231:
    First time I've used balsamic when cooking, great addition, I substituted bacon for pancetta.  :)
    That's what I like to hear re balsamic and pancetta
  • The chicken I can do  ^-^. There are some foods that just don't appeal even though I have never tried them, rabbit is one, offal is another  :P.
  • on 1433233068:
    The chicken I can do  ^-^. There are some foods that just don't appeal even though I have never tried them, rabbit is one, offal is another  :P.
    Fair nuff! I'm not big on offal. :)
  • We are huge fans of the Banh Mi here and we always skip the pate  :thumb:.
  • I love pate... Even make my own!!  Love a Rabbit Pie but other offal not so much!  There's a wonderful Bahn Mi place in Indooropilly Shopping Town not so far from us! 
  • We love them here Brett, they are our takeaway of choice  :). I look at the pate every week when we go for our fix but I just can't do it  ^-^.
  • Ok, a bit of a report. I made myself an egg brew just now with some Black Mamba coffee from the Maling Room. I didn't go the supermarket beans. My recipe: 20 grams freshly ground (course) Mixed one egg, coffee grounds and a little water Add mix to 2 cups of boiling water Simmer for 3 mins Strain into cup and serve I didn't know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. The coffee was sweet and I didn't get any egg 'notes' It was well balanced without and bitterness or sourness. I can describe it to coffee flavoured tea. Not a bad cup... but overall its not my cup of tea (pun intended) Here is a video of the 'dish'. Enjoy. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=583528861786590
  • on 1433665308:
    Mixed one 700g egg,
    700 grams! bloody big egg mate ??? was it of the emu variety? ;)