frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

what equipment are you using?

Just curious to know what espresso equipment folks are using at home, and if they think they are getting the most out of their machine?

I for one have owned a Baby Gaggia and a Gaggia Classic in the past, and both machines served me well

But when I started roasting my own coffee at home, I decided I needed something a little more high end, to pick up on the subtle nuances of the single origin coffees I have been working with, so here's my list of home equipment:

Coffee machine:  Bezzera Domus Galatea single lever E61

Grinders:            Rocky Rancilio & Mazzer Super Jolly

Roaster:              Gene Cafe domestic drum roaster

Tampers:            Various but Coffeelab and Espro tampers

I'm not trying to create a competition here to see who has the most bling equipment, I merely would like to create an easy access thread for folks to discuss what they've got and why they enjoy using it

Cheers,

Pat

Comments

• At home: Coffee Machine: Breville 800s (modded) Grinder: Compak k10 WBC (new model) and Sunbeam 480 Roaster: Wok and Microwave ;) Tamper: You name it, but favourites are definately the Pullman Barista (due for release mid June) and Pullman Deluxe. Other:  Really loving brewing coffee with the Aeropress, bodum kony, french press and manual drip (melitta, but hunting for some chemex filters).
  • you've got a K10 at home?  I'm impressed! Does that mean you've got stainless forks with that as well? pat
  • yeah, stainless forks, new more robust on/off switch.  Much much better dosing chamber lid.  Absolutely love it!
  • Yeah I've got a couple at work- love theeven dosing, and the ergonomics of these machines I'm happy with the quality of grind that I get from my super jolly at home, but it's bloody messy to use - still that's a small price to pay for great coffee, and I feel like I'm getting the most out of my home roast with this set-up p
  • Machine: La Pavoni Europiccola '73 grinder: Mazzer Super jolly Tamper: coffeelab custom 49.4mm Got to say this is the 2nd Lever machine I've owned and I love the extractions from it. Opens your eyes and pallet to a whole new espresso experience.
  • My setup is:- Machine: ECM Giotto premium Grinder: ECM Best Roaster: 'Coretto' Tamper: Espro I like the ease of use of the Giotto and the awesome steam power. When I was researching what machine to buy as an upgrade from my Silvia, I was worried about how complicated using an HX machine seemed to be, especially after reading some US forums. However a lesson with Chris soon dispelled those fears, and he showed me how simple they are to use. I would honestly say that I don't use my machine as much as I would like to, but with 2 shiftworkers in the house, I have to be careful when I use it so I don't wake everyone up.
  • Well... I just took the plunge and invested in a commercial Rancilio S24 single group machine, too see how it stacks up against my pro-sumer Bezerra Domus Galatea Haven't been able to fire it up as yet as I'm having trouble priming the boiler, but hopefully this is merely a technicality.  Machine may need a descale, though, as it hass been benched for awhile - but I'm interested in looking at temperature stability, and, in theory at least, the 3.9lt boiler ought to stack up better fro some of the charitable work and market stalls that I do from time to time. I believe that this is the last model commercial Rancilio machine to feature a built in water tank (albeit smaller than that of my Bezerra) - which makes it portable enough - although its apparently APITA if the water reservoir runs out Watch this space.... Pat
  • Oh man, where do I start  8-) I guess my everyday use is the Expobar Minore II and Super Jolly. I use a Hario TCA-2 syphon copy (soon to be replaced with the genuine article  8-)), which incidentally is only just second to espresso right now. Probably my fave at the moment. I bust out the Bodum Santos 8 cup when people are around. I've also got an old glass rod which I haven't managed to figure out who's it is. I've got a La Cimbali M30 Bistro 2gp on the bench (in many pieces) being reconditioned, and a La Cimbali DRM (Conical+Flat) grinder, which I've just put back together after cleaning it out. Pullman Barista, non-fitted convex (my fave lately), Pullman Deluxe Fitted Flat, and an Espro I won at Aromafest which hasn't seen much use as the Pullman arrived a few weeks later. Got a Rocky for travelling and decaf when I'm doing "coffee gig's" Got a few pour over's, mostly swiss gold or similar. I think I need to quit my job as a Lighting consultant and pursue other things ;)
  • man - with all that gear you a definitely in the wrong industry! Gotta get into espresso in a major way! Have you considered roasting?
  • man - with all that gear you a definitely in the wrong industry! Gotta get into espresso in a major way! Have you considered roasting?
    I roast on my balcony with a heatgun/breadmaker. I have a stash of various greens of about 50+kgs. But if someone wants to donate a little 2kg roaster feel free  ;)  ;D
  • ECM Giotto plus ECM/Anfim grinder + various tampers Have to say the Giotto's a few years old now. Doesn't produce as much steam as the premium, but I'm still pretty happy with it
  • Expobar Brewtus and Macap M4 on the bench at home and Expobar Megacrem and M4 in the Van, Pullman tampers, but playing around with the Eazy Tamp at the moment, interesting little thing. Cheers ;D
  • well... I recently purchased a Rancilio S24 as a gift for myself for father's day from the bay of evil but couldn't get the  thing to fire up - so I sent it back to the place of purchase and it turns out that the water intake hose was not properly connected - no major drama but it's across the other side of town and I don't get over there much any more so I asked a mate to pick it up and now he's installed in his home and says it works like a charm! good for him! I've still got my trusty Bezzera Domus Galatea working nicely, and a couple of machines in pieces in my workshop, so it's not as if I haven't got enough to keep me going still haven't told the misses about the new machine (well... I did mention something about it but I don't think I mentioned that it was an extreme machine), so we'll prob pop over to visit our friends, and she will be like: "oh... nice coffee machine" and they will prob say something like: "thanks, you own it!" pat
  • This Espresso Machine is the home machine and I love it Our immediate family have always owned cafes. One was always close to home. We could pop in anytime for an espresso as long as I made it myself Recently as last year some relatives have sold the cafes or relocated on the other side of the city so I got my own E61 machine from Barazi here in Brisbane for home use No travelling involved to get a great coffee Espresso Machine:   Bezzera Domus Galatea Grinder:                  Macap M4D Stepped Tamper:                  Pullman Barista Convex Roaster:                  Turbo Roaster Home Made. And always improving Koffee Kosmo
  • I've gotta admit that although there's fancier equipment with all kind of temperature stability specifications - I can't go past my Bezzera Domus Galatea when it comes to making consistently great coffee!
  • Yea Pat I tend to agree with you The Bezzera is a top machine its not only made well. It produces good espresso with ease I made a great choice in picking the Galatea as my first machine KK
  • Machine: Isomac Tea HX Grinder: in transition -- Rocky/looking at Macap M4D Pullman Huon Pine tamper ACF cups, Bodum glasses, Bumper kb and tamper stand Corretto roaster--Breville bm, Ryobi hg, DMM datalogger 40kg green beans--El Salvador, Brazil, Indian, Sumatran, Sulawesi, Kenya, Ethiopian, PNG, Nicaraguan, Honduran.........................
  • just started using a k10 wbc. I likey  ;D. Using a G10, which I used to like. But am really keen to get something a little better, maybe a synesso sabre?? any thoughts anyone
  • mate its a n=big jump from a G10 to a Sabre - not to mention the $10k price difference - how do you justify that one to the bank manager?
  • Well, hopefully my plans will work. will keep you posted. But yes a big $$$ difference I know
  • any suggestions otherwise peoples
  • I cant go past my BFC Synchro from Veneziano - Its half the price of the big name machines with shot quality which is absolutely on par with the best out there...
  • ahhh gear. toys. there's never enough is there? Espresso Machine:  Miss Silvia Brewed coffee:        Clever coffee dripper Grinder:                  Compak K10WBC & Mahlkonig Vario Tamper:                  Pullman Barista Convex, Deluxe convex, Espro Convex Roaster:                  Genecafe trying to decide what needs to be upgraded next .... roaster or espresso machine? I'm leaning towards replacing Miss Silvia at the moment
  • home machine:      Rancilio S24 commercial single group grinder:                  Mazzer Major / Sunbeam em460 roaster:                  Koffee Kosmo Corretto old school is the new school and I'm getting some pretty handy results using these old favourites!
  • Evening all, There's been a recent addition to the household, which I thought I'd share with you all. I now have a La Spaziale mini Vivaldi II (black sides) on the bench, next to the Macap M4, Bumper tamp stand, black Coffeelab tamper and Sunbeam 'bang bang'. A Behmor roaster now sits in the garage, which has taken over duties from my previous 'coretto' roaster. I'm a very happy camper now. All the best, Steve.
  • La Cimbali Junior Coffee Machine and La Cimbali commercial grinder..
  • on 1282022401:
    La Cimbali Junior Coffee Machine and La Cimbali commercial grinder..
    G'day Lefty, joined 2007, first post today, surely not. :-)
  • What have I got on the bench at any one time will be? A Bezzera Domus Galatea. Mazzer Mini grinder. Reg Barber tamper. Digital scales. I roast on a Corretto, use a data logger, Bosch "model 630E" variable heat/fan speed heat gun and have made up a very effective and cheap bean cooler. And all of the other paraphernalia you seem to collect over time. ::)
  • on 1281697499:
    Evening all, There's been a recent addition to the household, which I thought I'd share with you all. I now have a La Spaziale mini Vivaldi II (black sides) on the bench, next to the Macap M4, Bumper tamp stand, black Coffeelab tamper and Sunbeam 'bang bang'. A Behmor roaster now sits in the garage, which has taken over duties from my previous 'coretto' roaster. I'm a very happy camper now. All the best, Steve.
    Steve. [/quote] Sounds like a nice set up Steve, the Mini Vivaldi certainly is a good looking machine, how does it perform?
  • on 1282035403:
    on 1282022401:
    La Cimbali Junior Coffee Machine and La Cimbali commercial grinder..
    G'day Lefty, joined 2007, first post today, surely not. :-)
    Yeah joined a while ago, but lost my User details and only recently remembered i was a member of this forum... haha. Oh well, better late than never...